Head of Engineering
DSNai is building the Generative Artificial Intelligence (AI) platforms, datasets, and access infrastructure to support mass market applications of AI in health, education, financial inclusion, and agriculture, with a special focus on low-resourced emerging markets. We believe that AI can improve the quality of lives of people who need it most when they are intentionally built to solve real problems.
We are searching for a founding Head of Engineering who believes in our mission and will play a foundational role in shaping our AI-driven product. You will lead our core engineering team, which includes fullstack, product, backend, infra, data, and ML engineers building complex AI systems in the generative, geospatial, and conversational domains. We are looking for candidates with extensive engineering management experience and deep technical backgrounds.
We’re looking for a leader who can inspire, innovate, design, and develop highly scalable AI systems, promote a Can-do culture of technical learning, and build a team of remarkable engineers. We seek a technical entrepreneur who wants to be a part of a great start-up story.
Your Inspirational Mandate
- Partner with the founders to envision, architect, design, and deliver an AI product roadmap and a scalable technology strategy.
- Influence and execute our product vision, ensuring our platform stands out as a leader in transforming Generative AI applications and emerging market-oriented use cases.
- Roll up your sleeves and write code and algorithms, especially in the early days.
- Build, support, mentor, and grow a great team of engineers with multi-country presence.
- Drive the execution of DSNai key products, including our AI conversational system, patent-focused LLM, and geospatial AI platforms.
- Demonstrate competence in supporting modern software development practices, including CI/CD, containerization, and orchestration tools.
- Lead research to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in generative AI, machine learning, and deep learning techniques and identify opportunities to integrate them into our products and services.
- Develop clear and concise documentation, including technical specifications, user guides, and presentations, to communicate complex AI concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Foster a culture of innovation, ownership, and excellent delivery.
- Lead the establishment of best practices and standards for generative AI development within the organization.
What makes you fit the profile?
- 6+ years of relevant experience as a Software/AI Engineer in dynamic and high-growth environments
- Experience in Machine Learning (ML), Large Language Models (LLM), and Natural Language Processing (NLP) with a broad view of the end-to-end deployment value chain.
- 2+ years of team management experience
- The ability to work strategically as well as being hands-on.
- Excitement about the latest developments in AI and machine learning, and an eagerness to apply them in novel ways to disrupt the Generative, Conversational, and Geospatial AI domain.
- Hands-on experience in shaping product specifications, streamlining workflows, and designing rigorous testing frameworks.
- Obsession to create the best end-customer experience.
- Experience working on greenfield projects and experience building systems from the ground up at a start-up.
- Excellent knowledge of the software development lifecycle, team organization, software design patterns, testing, and continuous improvement
- Stellar communication abilities and an enthusiasm to be an integral member of a compact, dedicated team.
What is in it for you?
- An early spot and a unique chance to build the product from 0 to 1.
- Partner with a great founder with an amazing vision and business opportunity
- Fairly competitive compensation structure with a potential financial upside by co-sharing value with a high potential start-up company.
- Full-time role based in London or Lagos / Open to remote-friendly candidates who can travel for regular face-to-face meetings when required.
How to express your interest
We firmly believe that most exceptional candidates cannot be boxed into traditional criteria. If our vision resonates with you or you are looking for a challenge, we urge you to reach out. This role demands a thorough expertise in building scalable AI systems, but, more critically, an entrepreneurial commitment for rapid adaptation and learning.
Please express your interest by sharing the following:
- Your resume, including links that best characterize your online presence (GitHub, LinkedIn, etc).
- One-paragraph summary of your key accomplishments at your most recent (or current) job.
- A short intro about yourself, why you are interested in this position, how it relates to your previous experience, and the areas you think you can contribute the most if you join the team.
If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “DSNai Head of Engineering”.